Serves 2 (4 pieces)
– 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsweetened almond milk
– 1 tbsp (15 ml) coconut flour
– 1/2 tbsp (7.5 ml) ground flax seed
– 1 tbsp (15 ml) unsweetened shredded coconut
– 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) pure vanilla extract
– 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp (0.625 ml) ground nutmeg
– 4 slices vegan bread
– 1/4 cup (60 ml) pecan pieces
1. Mix dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Whisk in milk and vanilla and mix well. Set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
3. Heat a non-stick or cast iron pan over medium heat. Add a small amount of coconut oil to coat the surface of pan.
4. Place a slice of bread in the batter and let soak in, turn and allow both sides to soak up the mixture. (Note: Gluten-free bread will have to soak longer than regular bread as it is typically denser. )
5. Place bread in pan and allow to cook while soaking next slice of bread. Cook each slice for 3 – 5 min per side. Cover cooked french toast with a piece of aluminum foil until all slices are cooked.
6. Top with pecans, a sprinkle of shredded coconut, raspberries and 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup or coconut yogurt.
By Krissy Adams, RD, PTS