– 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
– 1 small onion, chopped
– 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup dry white wine
– 6-8 cups no salt added or low sodium vegetable stock
– 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
– 1 tsp saffron threads
– 2 tbsp chopped chives
– Fresh black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place squash on non-stick baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable stock on low heat in small saucepan.
4. In a saute pan, add the chopped onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon of vegetable stock. Saute onions and garlic for about five minutes on medium to medium-low heat until onions are translucent.
5. Add the rice to the onions and stir. Add the white wine and cook, stirring until wine has been absorbed into rice.
6. Add two ladles of vegetable stock to the rice with saffron and black pepper. Cover and simmer until the stock has been absorbed.
7. Continue to add a couple more ladles of stock, each time cover and stir until most of the stock is absorbed. Continue to do this until the rice is tender, but still al dente, about 30 minutes.
8. When rice is done, remove from heat and add the roasted squash cubes. Garnish with chopped chives and serve.